Obesity can cause a number of health issues; however, those who are extremely overweight often have difficulty shedding extra pounds through diet and exercise for a variety of reasons. Located in Cypress, Houston, TX board certified general surgeon Dr. Matthew St. Laurent often recommends bariatric surgery for his patients in The Woodlands and Houston-area to help them restore their health and improve their quality of life.
What Is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery can refer to one of the several procedures performed on the stomach or intestines to help people lose weight. Some of the most common bariatric surgeries include the following:
Bariatric surgery is a major procedure that requires the use of general anesthesia in addition to a hospital stay. The length of this stay can vary but generally only requires an overnight stay in most cases.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
- Helps reduce the appetite without allowing starvation
- Enables people to lose weight safely over a period of 12 to 24 months
Has been proven effective at helping people keep weight off
- Provides immediate health benefits and may even eliminate or significantly reduce the symptoms of several medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension or sleep apnea
Looking at these before and after photographs of actual bariatric surgery patients will give you a better idea as to the tremendous weight loss benefits that can be achieved. Because each patient’s case is unique, not everyone will realize the same results as the patients shown here.
How Is Bariatric Surgery Performed?
Each procedure is performed differently, however all require a few small incisions in the abdominal area to perform the procedure laparoscopically. Dr. St. Laurent will explain the exact procedure he recommends in great detail during your consultation.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Preparation for bariatric surgery will depend on the procedure you require and your overall health. Dr. St. Laurent may recommend you refrain from smoking or discontinue certain medications ahead of time, based on the information you give him during your consultation. At the end of your appointment, you will be given pre-operative instructions and be provided with an opportunity to ask any questions.
Bariatric Surgery Recovery
Immediately after your procedure, you will remain in the hospital overnight so medical personnel can monitor your progress. After being released, you will need to limit yourself to only light activity for the first couple of weeks and can gradually increase your activity level until you are performing normally. This typically takes around six weeks.
How Much Does Bariatric Surgery Cost?
The cost will depend on the exact procedure you choose. Insurance benefits may cover all or part of the cost of bariatric surgery. Your exact cost, including insurance co-payments, will be discussed during your initial consultation, and you will also be given an opportunity to apply for financing if needed.
Is Bariatric Surgery Right for Me?
Bariatric surgery is a good choice for you if
- You are at least 80 pounds overweight or have a Body Mass Index of 35 or higher
(In certain circumstances, a patient with a BMI between 30-35 may be an appropriate candidate)
- You are committed to a healthy diet and regular exercise afterwards, and
- You have no health conditions that would prohibit you from undergoing the procedure.
Why Choose Dr. St. Laurent?
Dr. St. Laurent is an experienced bariatric surgeon who
- Has more than 17 years as a board-certified general surgeon,
- Has practiced bariatrics exclusively for more than 10 years
- Operates a 5-star Healthgrades rated bariatric practice
- Is recognized by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons (ASMBS) as a certified bariatric Center of Excellence (CoE)
- Specializes in treating other health conditions related to obesity
Dr. St. Laurent specializes in treating obesity-related diseases in addition to helping people lose weight. Because of his expertise and devotion to total patient care, many people have become patients for life.
What to Expect During Your Consultation
A consultation for bariatric surgery is intense and will involve a lot of information, including the following:
- Taking weight and/or body measurements
- Completing a health history and discussing current medications
- Discussing the risks and benefits of bariatric surgery to help you make an informed decision
- Answering questions
If you’ve been struggling to lose weight and have had difficulty doing so, you may want to consider bariatric surgery. Patients in The Woodlands and Houston may contact Dr. St. Laurent today at 281-810-7895 to schedule a consultation at his Cypress office.
*Individual results may vary