Meet Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent is a proud native of Houston, Texas. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from the honors program at Texas A&M University with a degree in Biochemistry. Afterwards, he received his medical degree at Texas A&M University College of Medicine where he was recognized for surgical honors and graduated in the top of his class. Dr. St. Laurent subsequently completed his surgical training at the University of Texas Health Service Center in San Antonio, Texas. While training at the University of Texas Health Science Center, he distinguished himself by publishing multiple articles in the fields of transplant and general surgery.
After completing his surgical training, Dr. St. Laurent spent four years as a general surgeon with the United States Air Force. During his last two years of service he held the position of Chief of Surgical Services for the 5th Medical Operations Group. While with the United States Air Force, Dr. St. Laurent began working in the field of bariatrics. After returning to the Houston area, he went on to complete additional training through a fellowship in laparoscopic bariatric surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.
He has successfully completed multiple advanced courses in laparoscopic surgical techniques and in laparoscopic colorectal surgery at Tulane University in New Orleans and Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York. He has also completed advanced training in Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding or LAGB and previously served as a certified proctor/instructor for Allergan Corporation, teaching other surgeons around the country how to perform the LAP-BAND System procedure. Dr. St. Laurent also served as an instructor/proctor for Covidian Corporation, training surgeons on the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Most recently, Dr. St. Laurent was named one of America’s Top Surgeons (Bariatric Surgery 2009 – 2019, Consumers Research Council of America). He has also been named a “Top Doctor” for “Who’s Who Among American Professionals.” Dr. St. Laurent is a member in good standing with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and has earned the prestigious designation of certified Center of Excellence (COE) surgeon. He also remains active in multiple other surgical organizations.
Dr. St. Laurent is one of the most experienced laparoscopic surgeons in the Houston area, having performed well over 6,000 advanced laparoscopic procedures and over 4,500 bariatric procedures. His entire practice is devoted to bariatric medicine and the treatment of morbid obesity. In addition to serving as the prior Bariatric Medical Director at Cy-Fair Medical Center and Journey Lite of Houston, Dr. St. Laurent currently serves as the Bariatric Medical Director for North Cypress Medical Center.
- Board Certified and Recertified General Surgeon
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons (FASMBS)
- Member American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons
- Member International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)
- Member Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Member Obesity Action Coalition
- Member Texas Medical Association
- Member American Medical Association
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent Achievements
- Health Grades 5 Star Rated Bariatric Surgeon
- ASMBS Recognized Bariatric Center of Excellence Practice
- America’s Top Surgeons, Bariatric Surgery 2007-19 Consumers Research Counsel of America
- Who’s Who Among American Professionals
- H Magazine Top Doc
- Bariatric Medical Director North Cypress Medical Center (CoE designated)
- Former Medical Director Cy-Fair Medical Center (CoE designated)
- Former Medical Director Journey Lite of Houston Surgical Center (CoE designated)
- Performed over 6,000 advanced laparoscopic procedures and 4,500 bariatric procedures
- Practice is 100% Bariatric