What Is Bariatric Surgery?
Even though bariatric (weight loss) surgery has gained widespread popularity in the past few years, there is still a lot of misinformation about this procedure. The following obesity surgery facts are important for Houston-area patients who are considering a bariatric procedure with board certified general surgeon Dr. Matthew St. Laurent.
A Range of Weight Loss Services
Weight Loss Surgery Facts
Bariatric surgery is often viewed as a one-stop, magic cure for obesity, which is why many patients are surprised to learn that it is only effective at helping them lose between 30% and 50% of their excess weight. While this surgery can be the crucial first step in long-term weight loss and improving patients’ health and longevity, any remaining weight loss must come from modifying one’s diet, exercise, and lifestyle if an individual is to reach his or her goals.
There are various approaches to weight loss surgery, and not all of them are appropriate for everyone. Today, most of these surgeries are performed with the use of a laparoscope, involving only small incisions and a camera that projects images onto a computer screen. This modern, state-of-the-art method allows safer and more precise modifications of internal organs.
For more information on the different types of weight loss surgery available at Northwest EndoSurgical, click here.
In addition, here are some important facts regarding potential benefits of bariatric surgery:
- Laparoscopic bariatric surgery may produce savings on medical costs in as little as two years.
- This kind of surgery cuts the risk of developing coronary heart disease by 50%.
- Approximately 75% of all people who are severely obese have at least one related condition (co-morbidity). This surgery can help fight these co-existing health issues.
- Bariatric surgery is an effective sleep apnea treatment that eliminates the condition in over 85% of patients.
- A study performed on former bariatric patients showed that 89% of them maintained their weight loss for as long as 14 years.
- Those suffering from Type 2 diabetes and hypertension can realize savings of approximately 77.3% on medications.
- Bariatric surgery has been shown effective at resolving more than 30 different obesity-related disorders including:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- Sleep apnea
- High cholesterol
- More than 200,000 people had bariatric surgery in 2008, an increase from only 13,000 in 1998.
- About 15 million people in the U.S. have morbid obesity, but only 1% of the clinically eligible population is being treated for morbid obesity through bariatric surgery.
Bariatric surgery is growing in popularity because of its surprising benefits. Find out more by contacting us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Matthew St Laurent, a top Houston surgeon at 281-301-1404.