The production of hormones decreases as we age. Hormone replacement therapy can treat many conditions that are caused by age-related hormone reduction. At Northwest EndoSurgical, Dr. Matthew St. Laurent offers hormone replacement therapy for the residents of Pasadena, TX, and its surrounding communities.
What is Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormone replacement therapy is medication that consists of female hormones used to replace the hormones that the body cannot make after a woman has reached menopause. Hormone therapy is used to treat hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause.
Benefits of Hormone Therapy
The benefits derived from hormone therapy are dependent on whether you are taking systemic therapy or low-dose vaginal medication.
- Systemic hormone therapy – This treatment is mainly used to relieve menopausal night sweats and hot flashes. Additionally, systemic estrogen helps relieve other menopausal symptoms such as itching, dryness and discomfort during intercourse. Estrogen is also recommended for osteoporosis, a bone-thinning condition.
- Low-dose vaginal medication – Low dose treatments that come in the form of a tablet or cream are mainly used to treat vaginal disturbances and urinary conditions. This treatment is not used for night sweats, hot flashes or osteoporosis.
How is Hormone Therapy Performed?
Hormone therapy for patients in Cypress, TX is administered as estrogen combined with progesterone (a synthetic hormone). Long-term use of estrogen without progesterone increases one’s risk of getting uterine cancer. Progesterone is used to counteract the risk of using estrogen. Therefore, estrogen treatment without the use of progesterone is only used on women who have undergone a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus).
Estrogen is provided in tablets, pills, creams, patches, sprays or vaginal preparations. The kind of estrogen preparation administered depends on the symptoms of the patient. For example, vaginal tablets, rings, and creams are recommended for vaginal dryness. Pills and patches are used for relieving hot flashes.
A doctor will prescribe a treatment schedule for hormone therapy depending on the patient’s situation. The standard forms of hormone therapy used are:
- Oral therapy: Also known as pill daily continuous therapy, these are small doses of estrogen and progesterone taken on a daily basis.
- Transdermal therapy: This treatment involves skin patches that are worn daily. These patches are changed at least once a week. Patches are effective for relieving hot flashes.
- Vaginal tablets and creams: This treatment is used nightly for a period of two weeks and later reduced to two times a week.
About Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent is among the most renowned laparoscopic specialists in Houston. With more than 5,000 laparoscopic procedures to his name, Dr. St. Laurent has devoted his career to bariatric medicine. He is currently serving as a bariatric medical director for North Cypress Medical Center.
*Individual results may vary