The LAP-BAND® procedure can be very effective for those who are deemed to be good candidates for it. Located in Cypress, Houston, TX, board certified general surgeon Dr. Matthew St. Laurent carefully screens all his patients in The Woodlands and Houston-area to ensure their safety and increase the likelihood of positive results.
The LAP-BAND® system is a minimally invasive procedure that has helped hundreds of thousands of people lose weight. But, it’s important to make sure you’re a good candidate.
Who Is a Good Candidate for LAP-BAND® Surgery?
The ideal candidate will be someone who has struggled with diet and exercise in the past and is at least 50 pounds above his or her ideal weight. Individuals with a Body Mass Index of at least 40 may also benefit from this surgery, even if the number of pounds they need to lose is fewer than 100.
Additional good candidates for LAP-BAND® surgery include those where:
- You’re between 18 and 65 years old.
- Serious weight loss attempts have had only short-term success.
- You don’t have a disease that may have caused your excess weight.
- You’re highly motivated and committed to make major changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You’re free from drug or alcohol dependence.
- You’re not currently pregnant. (See the pregnancy section) Patients who become pregnant after band placement may require deflation of their bands.
Patients should be in reasonably good health, so those with certain health conditions may be prohibited from undergoing a LAP-BAND® procedure. A few of these health conditions include the following:
- Crohn’s disease
- An abnormal esophagus or stomach
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Drug or alcohol addiction
- Autoimmune disorder such as systemic lupus
You should also have no underlying condition that might be causing your obesity. Taking medications that cause weight gain could affect your ability to benefit from the procedure as well.
Women who are currently pregnant should not undergo LAP-BAND® surgery until some time after they deliver. Those who are planning to become pregnant in the near future should also wait. Women, who subsequently become pregnant after having a LAP-BAND® placed, usually notice no complications from it, even when delivery by Cesarean section is required.
To read our procedure guide, click here.
Top candidates for LAP-BAND® surgery are in generally good health despite being significantly overweight. The best way to determine if this procedure is right for you is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Matthew St. Laurent at his Cypress clinic. If you live in Houston or The Woodlands, contact us at 281-810-7895 today to make your appointment.
*Individual results may vary