Gastric Bypass Surgery Risks in Houston, TX
Although it is considered a major operation, gastric bypass surgery with board certified general surgeon Dr. Matthew St. Laurent is generally considered safe; however, a few risks are involved. By knowing what these risks are, Cypress, The Woodlands, and Houston-area patients can better prepare to deal with them once the procedure has been completed.
What Are the Risks Associated with Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Many of the risks associated with gastric bypass surgery are the same as for any other operation. A few of the most common risks include the following:
- Elevated blood pressure
- Malignant hypothermia, which involves a rapidly rising body temperature
- Blood clots
- Excessive bleeding caused by blood that fails to clot properly
Other risks are more specific to gastric bypass surgery in general, including the following:
- An infection in the stomach or small intestine
- Stomach fluid leaking from the connection between the small intestine and the upper pouch
- Stomach perforation
Some risks may not be present during surgery but may present themselves at a later time. Individuals who undergo gastric bypass surgery have a higher-than-average risk of developing certain conditions such as the following:
- Low blood sugar
Shortly after surgery, you may experience a condition known as “dumping syndrome.” This occurs whenever food passes from the stomach to the small intestine too quickly, resulting in nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. This can usually be eliminated by doing the following:
- Eating smaller portions
- Cutting food into very small pieces
- Chewing well before swallowing
- Eliminating trigger foods from the diet
- Minimizing foods and drinks with high concentrations of simple sugar
- Eating several smaller meals throughout the day
To read our procedure guide, click here.
The risks associated with gastric bypass surgery are relatively mild when you consider the effects obesity could have on your health. If you’re in The Woodlands or Houston area, contact Dr. Matthew St. Laurent in Cypress at 281-301-1404 to see if gastric bypass surgery might be right for you.