Gastric Bypass Surgery in Houston, TX
A good number of people are overweight because they find it difficult to control their appetites. Gastric bypass surgery could be the answer for a number of The Woodlands and Houston-area patients, who can visit board certified general surgeon Dr. Matthew St. Laurent in Cypress for expert care.
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Gastric bypass surgery is a procedure in which the stomach is divided into two separate pouches: upper and lower. The small intestine is then modified to connect it to the upper pouch. This procedure is performed in a hospital setting under general anesthesia and is considered a major operation.
Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Makes it easier to control the appetite
- Provides for healthy weight loss over a period of time
- Can improve health conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and abnormal blood clots
These before and after pictures show the remarkable results that can be achieved over time after undergoing gastric bypass surgery. Your exact results will depend on your commitment to following a healthy diet and exercise program afterward.
How Is Gastric Bypass Surgery Performed?
You will be given general anesthesia to ensure you are fully asleep during the procedure. Next, Dr. St. Laurent will make several small incisions in your abdomen to access your stomach and small intestine. Using staples, he will divide your stomach into two separate sections, ensuring the upper section where food will go is much smaller than the lower section.
After separating your stomach, a portion of your small intestine will then be connected directly to the upper pouch to allow food to pass directly through it. A tiny camera called a laparoscope may be used to assist him in this process, allowing him to obtain an unobstructed view of your organs that will ensure a more precise connection. The entire procedure may take between one to two hours.
To read our procedure guide, click here.
Preparing for Gastric Bypass Surgery
Prior to undergoing gastric bypass surgery, you will need to do the following:
- Undergo certain laboratory tests
- Complete a thorough analysis of your medical history
- Stop smoking
- Refrain from certain medications, especially ones that make it difficult for your blood to clot
- Make arrangements to have someone help you with household chores and errands following surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery Recovery
Generally, an overnight hospital stay is required after gastric bypass surgery. Dr. St. Laurent will monitor your progress and release you when you are able to walk short distances comfortably and eat a reasonable amount of soft or pureed food.
Once you are released, you will need to strictly limit your activity for up to two weeks. After that time, you can gradually increase your activity level over the next few weeks. You will also need to modify your diet, gradually adding in solid foods until you are able to tolerate them easily. Most patients return to normal diet and activity levels in around six weeks.
How Much Does Gastric Bypass Surgery Cost?
The cost can depend on a number of factors that will be discussed with you during your consultation. Our staff will also discuss any insurance benefits you might have, as well as financing and other payment options.
Is Gastric Bypass Surgery Right for Me?
You could benefit from gastric bypass surgery if you meet the following conditions:
- You are more than 80 pounds overweight or have a BMI of 40 or greater
- Your BMI is between 35 and 39.9, but you have an obesity-related disorder such as Type 2 diabetes or obstructive sleep apnea
- You have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight through diet and exercise in the past
- You are a binge eater or have previously been diagnosed with an eating disorder
Why Choose Dr. St. Laurent?
- 17 years as a board-certified general surgeon
- Has practiced bariatrics exclusively for more than 10 years
- Operates a 5-star Healthgrades rated bariatric practice
- Is recognized by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons (ASMBS) as a certified bariatric Center of Excellence (CoE)
- Specializes in treating other health conditions related to obesity
What to Expect During Your Consultation
Your consultation is designed to ensure you are a good candidate for gastric bypass surgery. As such, a complete medical history will be reviewed, and then the appropriate medical tests will be ordered. Dr. St. Laurent will talk about the risks and benefits with you, and once you are comfortable you are making the right decision, the cost of this surgery will be discussed as well.
If you have struggled to lose weight over the years and have been discouraged by your lack of progress, gastric bypass surgery can give you a new lease on life. The Woodlands and Houston patients can contact Dr. St. Laurent in Cypress at 281-301-1404 to find out more.